No Man’s Land publishes original (not previously published) English translations of literature written in German in the past quarter century (since 1990).
We accept submissions in the following categories:
1) Short fiction: Short stories and self-contained excerpts from longer works ( maximum length 4,000 words).
2) Poetry: Six or fewer poems by a single author.
Submissions for Issue 12 (2017) are currently being accepted until September 10, 2017.
Watch for a future announcement here calling for submissions for the Migrantenliteratur themed issue, to be published in Spring 2018.
One submission per translator may be received in either of the above categories for a given issue.
Before submission, the translator should communicate with the publisher or other rights holder to ensure that English-language rights to the work are available.
Simultaneous submissions will be accepted on condition of immediate notification if your translation is accepted for publication elsewhere.
We only accept electronic submissions sent through our submission portal, accessed using the link provided at the bottom of this page. Your submission must include the following:
• Your translation(s) into English;
• A brief biography of the author (200 words maximum);
• A brief biography of the translator (200 words maximum);
• For prose excerpts, a short preface describing the context of the translated passage.
• The original German-language text, as either a PDF or WORD (doc or docx) document. When scanning a text, please include all pages in a single document.
• Details of the availability of rights for the original (German-language) work and your source for this information.
We recognize that translators wish to see their work published in a timely fashion. We will make every effort to respond within six weeks of receiving a submission. Please get in touch if you have not heard from us in that period.
Continue to our Submission Portal to complete the Submission Form and send your submission to No Man’s Land.