No Man’s Land publishes original (not previously published) English translations of literature written in German in the past quarter century (since 1990).
Submissions for Issue 13 (2018) are currently being accepted until September 10, 2018.
We accept submissions in the following categories:
1) Prose: Short stories and creative non-fiction, including self-contained excerpts from longer works ( maximum length 4,000 words).
2) Poetry: Six or fewer poems by a single author.
One submission per translator may be received in one of the above categories for a given issue.
Before submission, the translator should communicate with the publisher or other rightsholder to ensure that English-language rights to the work are available.
Simultaneous submissions will be accepted on condition of immediate notification if your translation is accepted for publication elsewhere.
We only accept electronic submissions sent through our submission portal, accessed using the link provided at the bottom of this page. Your submission must include the following:
• Your translation(s) into English;
• A brief biography of the author (200 words maximum);
• A brief biography of the translator (200 words maximum);
• For prose excerpts, a short preface describing the context of the translated passage.
• The original German-language text, as either a PDF or WORD (doc or docx) document. When scanning a text, please include all pages in a single document.
• Details of the availability of rights for the original (German-language) work and your source for this information.
Continue to our Submission Portal to complete the Submission Form and send your submission to No Man’s Land.